BME Chimaera
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
O-6 CAPT Dinuka Mapa
O-6 CAPT Dinuka Mapa
Admin
https://bmechimaera.forumotion.com

Interlude: The Ashes Empty Interlude: The Ashes

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:26 pm
In Orwell’s 1984, Telescreens, or ‘Monitors’ are used by the Thought Police to control and monitor the citizens of Oceania.

The real world of 1987 that I was born into had telescreens well. My two telescreens: ie. the CRT cathode-ray tube television located at the storage room in the back of the restaurant that connected to my N64 (where I played Star Wars ‘Rogue Squadron’ and also Zelda, ‘The Ocarina of Time,’ and also the chunky computer monitor where I first experienced Half Life in 2002.

TV was a feed. Gaming, at least for me, provided a mechanism to switch the output of my TV from the public broadcast that was mainstream television, to my AV channel where I played video games instead. To some degree I deviated from the public conditioning of Melbourne citizens through television. Home technology like TVs and Computer Monitors, were I felt perhaps, in a whim that might be misconstrued, were why they were referred to as ‘Monitors’

EPISODE IIa - RESTUARANT TELESCREENS OF CITY 17: G-MAN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT (END OF HALF LIFE): [00]

Much later in 2018, when I resided in Dr. Kleiner’s Lab in the house my parents bought in the suburbs of Noble Park (approx. 35km SE from City 17: Melbourne), my telescreen became a Samsung 32" 4K Ultra HD Curved Monitor; through which I absorbed Half Life 2:

EPISODE IIb - TELESCREENS OF DR. KLEINER’s LAB:[01]

G-Man : Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mister Freeman. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*…

I was smelling the ashes of Melbourne, which I realized, after coming out of the stasis that was my mental illness, had been turned into a urban complex like City 17.The Combine Citadel in Half Life 2 was built by the combine after their occupation of Earth following the Black Mesa Incident. Likewise in the real world, the construction of the Eureka tower at the heart of Melbourne began in August 2002 and the exterior was completed on June 2006. This mapped to the period I spent at the restaurant whilst a student at MHS. By 2015, when I had more or less recovered from mental illness, I in a way experienced a ‘Point Insertion’ into a new Melbourne; one that had a giant alien citadel. This I felt, were the ashes that G-Man was talking about.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum